Art: Saatchi Gallery


The other day I visited the Saatchi Gallery for the first time. I have to say, I am not an art enthusiast but I know some of my stuff as I had studied it for three years in school and am doing photography. I was pretty excited. I was most excited to see Frida Kahlo. Seeing her self-portraits was amazing, they were absolutely beautiful. Having studied a little about Frida Kahlo it was exciting to see her work in person.



The Saatchi gallery was amazing and a thoughtful experience. Seeing all the different pieces of art was mind-blowing. To see a small insight into the artists’ mind was a lucky experience to have. Just observing can really inspire you, not just with art but with writing, creating. Whatever it is you do, it doesn’t have to be art but it gives you inspiration for your work.


However, I didn’t want this post to be so focussed on the gallery but mainly on the subject of ‘art’.
What is ‘art’? According to the internet dictionary, it means “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power”. That is what art is, not just a painting it is the expression of beauty and emotional power. Expression. It doesn’t have to be immaculate with detail; it could be a strike of paint across a blank canvas. But that convey so much, the colour of the stripe, for example. Different colours symbolise different emotions. Why leave the rest of the canvas blank? To express loneliness? Emptiness?

Being an Artist does not necessarily mean being able to paint, it also means to write, creating and weaving beautiful words. Using your hands to sculpt and brush. Moving your body to the flow of music. Anything can be art; you just have to create it. You just need the inspiration and motivation to do so. That’s why I visited the Saatchi Gallery, to inspire myself by looking at the pieces of art. To inspire my mind, my creativity and flourish it back to life.


Art is something that is not very much appreciated in some certain parts of the world but seeing exhibitions like the ones in the Saatchi Gallery can change that. People think artists do not get paid well as a job but that doesn’t matter because if you do what you love then that’s all that matters. Doing something you love shouldn’t be for the money but for the passion you hold dearly to you. That’s all.

For example, Frida Kahlo, having suffered from Polio and getting in an accident in her early life, she didn’t let that stop her from achieving her goals. She moved on to becoming an artist and a successful one at that.


I’d like to thank Saatchi Gallery for letting me look at the exhibitions and seeing the wonderful pieces of work that were on display. If you ever get a chance to visit the Saatchi Gallery then I highly recommend looking, my favourite was the display of Frida Kahlo.



This was a different post but I loved writing it. I think it is something that should be talked about more and shouldn’t be left as a taboo subject. Tell me below what ‘art’ is to you!

No comments